Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Metrobiker


Today I approached a man who stood in a grassy patch by the Hudson River, fashioning Metro cards into adornments for his bicycle. He had a slight build and quiet presence, which made sense -- after all, he had the patience to place each Metrocard in its assigned spot around his bike's frame and wheels. 

As we spoke, I learned that he routinely replaces faded Metrocards with new ones. It takes about three months for the plastic cards to start losing their yellow-and-blue color to the sun, he said.

The Metrobiker's concept is somewhat ironic: After all, he rarely rides the subway. The used cards come from his friends. 

When I asked to take his picture, he said, "Where are you visiting from?"

"I'm from here," I said. Part of me wanted to offer up my city bona fides: The monthly Metrocard in my wallet, my memories of school-issued subway and bus passes before the Metrocard was born.

But I smiled and took pictures like the perpetual tourist I am.

No comments: